A HISTORIC SITE FOR POLITICS, INTRIGUE,
GLAMOUR, AND INFLUENCE.
The building was erected in 1923 and purchased shortly thereafter by William Randolph Hearst as the site of The Washington Herald. In 1939, Hearst sold the newspaper to the 20th century’s first female editor-in-chief and publisher, Eleanor “Cissy” Patterson, who merged it with The Washington Times. She ran the paper from her magnificent office at 1307 New York Avenue. Under her progressive editorial eye, it became the most widely read daily in the capital, and Patterson was referred to as the most powerful woman in America at the time.
With its stellar reputation, the paper attracted top talent and aspiring journalists like a young Jacqueline Bouvier, who started her first job at the Washington Herald in 1951. As the “Inquiring Camera Girl,” Bouvier posed witty questions about local and current events to people on the street, and subsequently took their photos. She covered the first inauguration of President Eisenhower, the coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, and interviewed politicians including her future husband, John F. Kennedy, then-Senator from Massachusetts. As their romance blossomed, the entrance to The Herald became one of their regular meeting spots. Bouvier resigned from the paper in 1953, following her engagement to JFK. A year later, the Washington Herald was purchased by Philip Graham and merged with his other paper, The Washington Post.
Marx bought the Beaux Arts-style building, formerly home to the printing presses and offices of the Washington Times-Herald, in April 2020 and has since undertaken extensive interior renovations, in partnership with Invesco Real Estate and Studios Architecture.
A building of firsts. Premier in every way.
A uniformed doorman greeting guests; infused hospitality elements throughout, from a concierge to a curated playlist, to a signature scent. No detail has been overlooked.